Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thankful


"Tell her....tell Aunt Kristen mommy," Taylor whispered. My sister and I were pushing our double strollers through the mall, and I said, "Taylor's hair is growing back." Taylor proudly ran her hands over her head to show her little blond buzz with a sweet smile stretched across her full cheeks. Taylor loves it when my sister gives her girly attention. She likes to wear her fanciest dresses to Aunt Kristen's house, and I will never forget how pretty my sister made her feel the day she cut all her hair off.

I remember sitting wide eyed in my bathroom while my sister cut, and cut with Taylor sitting in the sink. They chatted and giggled, while I silently talked myself out of a hysterical melt down. I remember my sister saying, "Tay Tay, you look SO pretty!" after she cut it all off, and Taylor beaming at herself in the mirror. I'm sure my sister cried on her way home that day. I'm sure she cried a million other times, but only after she carefully convinced me I was fine. She would remind me how strong Tay is, how resilient she is, and she had hope when mine was lost.

I watched my sister cut up Max's lunch yesterday, and felt so lucky. (Of course I was too busy mauling her baby to notice Max was eating a strawberry with leaves on it.)  I rocked her baby while we ate, and pretended he was mine to anyone who commented how cute he was (hehe). Simple days are such a blessing. It's not lost on me. I thanked God the whole way home, especially for my sister.


1 comment:

  1. Oh My, I just cried! I love your sister too and you both have such a fun and loving relationship. Your kids are the absolute best and they will always know love which means you have double the help taking care of you when you are older. That is what I always tell my nephew-"Now you remember how much Auntie takes care of you now, and when I need help in my wheelchair later you best help me around." :)

    ReplyDelete