Thursday, April 5, 2012

Long chemo...

Evening time, after I have tucked my two babies in bed, is always hard for me. Worry tends to creep into my mind, fear into my heart... We are confident that Taylor will beat cancer, she has to.....we just dread this difficult journey that lays ahead of us. I have been preparing Taylor for losing her hair. When I told her we are cutting her hair really short next week, she asked, "Will it hurt mommy?" Oh my heart... it never crossed my mind to explain that haircuts don't hurt. I left out several details of Taylor's condition in my last update..... and to save Chris and me painful conversations in public (I experienced a few today), I would rather update people this way. Taylor has a form of cancer called Rhabdomyosarcoma, and is in stage 3. This is a cancer that begins in the muscle, and can also be found in the tissue and bone. Taylor's tumor was found in her peritoneum, this is the sack that holds your intestines. Her CT scans and bone marrow test showed that the cancer has NOT spread to other areas of her body at this point, but it has left the margins of where her tumor was found. She will begin 46 weeks of chemo starting Wednesday, and an additional 25 radiation treatments. She will also have another surgery Wednesday to install a device, (port), to receive chemo and daily meds. All this being said... our goal is still to of course help Taylor beat cancer, and to have some fun along the way. Nothing else matters to us. We will do absolutely anything to make this easier on her. Her oncologist tells us that this is actually much harder on the parents than it is the children, we are praying he is right.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment