Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Supergirl

The dictionary defines a hero as "a person of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his or her brave deeds and noble qualities." I have a hero, and she is 2.5 years old. She is about 3 feet tall, 30 pounds, and has a smile that can light up the darkest room. Can you guess who it may be?

My plan for the day was to be a brave mommy. I even put on a little mascara because there was to be NO crying today. But....that lump came back in my throat when the anesthesiologist arrived.... that ache came back in my heart. I was frantic in the recovery room when I felt like she was uncomfortable, and I left a trail of tears from the entrance of the oncology unit all the way to our room. I stood dazed while they went over the treatment plan for the day, and couldn't take my eyes off her adorable bald roommate...who was much further into the treatment process.

Meanwhile, my little hero announced that the anesthesiologist is not going to hurt her, and went back to playing the iPad. She demanded to ride in her stroller from the recovery room, rather than the hospital bed, and gave her new roomie a quick smile before dozing off to sleep. With tears streaming down her little cheeks, she continues to offer out her arm to the nurse, knowing what happens next is painful. Talk about brave & compliant.

The surgery went well, and chemo begins shortly. Chris and I have decided to see the unit as a place of hope. Today we are one day closer to getting our baby cancer free. She continues to amaze us with her resilience, and encourages us to keep bouncing back right along with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment